10 Questions about The Yum Yum Tree with owner Kurt Polkey
1. Tell us about The Yum Yum Tree.
The Yum Yum Tree is a Jacksonville institution. We have been serving fresh all house made affordable lunches with a smile for the last 35 years. Although known mostly for our chicken salad and buttermilk coconut pie our lunch spot gives many choices, hot and cold.
2. What makes The Yum Yum Tree special?
No counter service here. We actually have servers.
3. What sort of food do you serve?
Sandwiches, salads, soup, pies, quiche. All made by us.
4. Where do your recipes come from?
Mom and Dad.
5. What are your top 3 recommendations for someone new to The Yum Yum Tree?
1. Chicken salad sandwich.
2. Quiche (spinach or Lorraine).
3. Buttermilk coconut pie.
4. Fresh mint iced tea.
6. What would you recommend for someone who's been a few times and is looking for something a little different?
Buttermilk coconut pie. You can not find this pie anywhere else.
7. About that buttermilk coconut pie. One reviewer called you "the undisputed king of coconut pie"? Can you tell us a little more about it?
Just that we bake it ourselves using using our own recipe, and have been doing so for many years. One taste will make you a believer.
8. What's the most popular dish?
We sell a lot of chicken salad sandwiches.
9. You offer catering?
Yes. Anything from an easy lunch to a fancy dinner. We'll deliver or you can bring your party to our place.
10. Is there anything else you'd like to add?
We are a local place run by by my sister and me after inheriting the restaurant from our parents. Our staff is beyond friendly. The Yum Yum Tree might be a little lacking in high style but we make up for it with fresh food and a staff that really cares about our customers. Ask any of our regulars.