10 Questions about Smashburger
1. Tell us about Smashburger.
SMASHBURGER is fast casual, light, bright, and clean.......with great service! SMASHBURGER serves up big, smashed to order 100% Certified Angus Beef burgers with toppings that are fresh, unique, and free. Smashchicken, grilled or crispy, served on 3 different types of freshly toasted buns or a lettuce wrap, is also served with all of the fresh and unique SMASHBURGER toppings. And, don't forget our fresh, made to order salads, and hand patted Black Bean Burger! The Smashfries, sweet potato fries, fried pickles and the haystack of fried onions are but a few of the delicious, made to order sides customers enjoy! Round that out with a nice selection of wine, and beer, or a 100% old fashioned, hand made Häagen-Dazs milk shake, and you have the SMASHBURGER experience!
2. What makes Smashburger special?
Ingredients fresh, never frozen including 100% Certified Angus Beef. A great variety of chicken, salads, and black bean burgers for a variety of tastes. A cheery, bright and clean dining environment. Unsurpassed pleasant, customer oriented service.
3. You are always mixing things up on your menu. Can you tell us about that?
To start with our Smashburger test kitchen created a burger especially for our Jacksonville location. It's called the Sunshine BBQ Smashburger and you won't find it anywhere else.
We also introduce a different specialty burger every two months. That's six new burgers a year. But you have to try them while they're here, because they don't stick around.
We have specialty shakes too - one every two months that we keep on the menu for about 6 weeks.
We're also experimenting all the time with specialty ingredients. So, although we have 5 cheeses that we carry all the time, we're also testing out new varieties such as goat cheese.
4. What are your top 3 recommendations for someone new to Smashburger?
1. A Sunshine BBQ Smashburger (pictured left) with cheese on an artisan egg bun with Smashfries (which come tossed with rosemary, olive oil & garlic).
2. A grilled chicken avacado club on chipotle bun with fried pickles.
3. A black bean burger with lettuce, tomato, and light Smash sauce, a small side garden salad, and veggie frites.
A Blue Moon beer goes well with all three!
5. What can you recommend to someone looking for something a little different?
A black bean burger, and veggie frites (pictured above).
6. What's your most popular dish?
The Classic Smashburger with cheddar cheese.
7. What's your favorite dish?
Cripy Buffalo Smashchicken with lettuce, tomato, and blue cheese crumbles on a classic egg roll.
8. We have to ask about some of the press you've been receiving. Forbes magazine just named Smashburger America's most promising company. What do you make of that?
It's a testament to a few things: Smashburger has grown quickly into a crowded market and at a tough time in the economy. We've been able to do that by offering our customers a great meal at a great price. We keep things simple and focused, but we also have our own twist on the standards while encouraging experimentation. That's why we offer our specialty burgers and shakes, our veggie frites and burger toppings that include avocado and fried eggs. That keeps it interesting for our customers while giving them a reason to come in to see what's new on the menu.
9. And Gourmet Magazine just named Smashburger CEO Tom Ryan one of America's Top 25 food entrepreneurs. Tom joins others such as Mario Batali, Howard Schultz, Martha Stewart and Emeril Lagasse. That's some company.
Yeah, it's a real honor. The burger business is very competitive and Tom has built a company that stands out in terms of its innovative food and deep customer loyalty. That's what attracted us to want to open Smashburger here in Jacksonville.
10. Can you tell us about your backgrounds and your decision to open a Smashburger?
Smashburger in Jacksonville is owned by Jay McGarvey and Dan Culleton. Jay is a real estate developer and Dan is a retired aerospace engineer. We both loved the quality and fresh daily/never frozen aspects of the food, along with the variety of menu items. Other Smashburgers were attracting very loyal followings and so it seemed like a perfect fit for Jacksonville.