10 Questions about Royal Palm Village Wine & Tapas with owner Kori Blacker
1. Tell us about Royal Palm Village.
We are a locally owned and operated new concept in retail as well as dining. We offer over 1200 bottles of fine wine at retail pricing, of which all are available by the glass with a 2 glass purchase. We are happy to serve any bottle for a small $10 corkage fee, perfectly paired with our Chef’s creative tapas. With over 200 bottles and 15 rotating drafts of micro-brew beers to choose from, you are certain to please your palate.
With a focus on sustainability and fresh local food, we are committed to providing our guests with the best “farm to table” seasonal fresh ingredients, featuring our organic edible garden. Founded in 2011 our goal is to bring value to our customers and ensure one of the finest experiences the Beaches has to offer.
2. What makes Royal Palm Village special?
We are one of a kind place. Once you have spent an evening at Royal Palm you will see for yourself. We have one of the best selection of food, wine & beer all offered at a valued price. Royal Palm has a fun ambiance with rotating artwork from local artists.
3. What sort of food do you serve?
4. Where do your recipes come from?
Our recipes are an eclectic mix from our chef.
5. What are your top 3 recommendations for someone new to Royal Palm Village?
1. Pumpkin seed pesto and house made Queso bruschetta.
2. Royal Rockefeller oysters.
3. Angus churrasco bibb lettuce wraps with sliced avocado, pickled onions and cilantro lime mustard.
6. What would you recommend for someone who's been a few times and is looking for something a little different?
Spicy shrimp and jicama tacos with salsa verde, red chile coulis, and cilantro cream.
7. What's the most popular dish?
Pork and black bean empanadas with salsa fresco.
8. What's your favorite dish?
House-cured salmon gravlax and paddlefish caviar.
9. Can you tell us about your chef?
Chris Robert is our in-house chef. He has been in the industry for over 20 years and is extremely creative with all aspects of the kitchen. It is through Chris's work that Royal Palm Village was awarded the Slow Food First Coast "Snail of Approval." This recognition was in part for his use of local and seasonal herbs and vegetables, many from our on-site garden.
10. Can you tell us about more about your wine selections?
We have a selection of over 1,200 bottles from all over the world. We sell well regarded wines that people are familiar with as well as boutique wines which are often less well known. We taste all of our wines before we bring them into the store to ensure quality at a competitve price.
11. What is your focus in your wine business?
Educating and pairing wine with people.
12. Can you tell us about your tasting programs?
We have different distributors who come weekly to educate about their wines. Sometimes there are themes, but most often we feature 5-6 different varietals so that there is something for everyone to enjoy.
13. Can you tell us about your dinner events?
We have wine dinners regularly, every other month or so, where we have a guest wine maker who comes and speaks about his winery and wine production. We work with the distributor ahead of time to taste and pair these wines to create a special pairing menu for the event. They're very popular and usually sell out, so we recommend making advanced reservations. If you want to learn about upcoming events you can follow us on Facebook or join our email list by sending an email to me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
14. Besides your focus on wine you also feature some craft beers.
Yes. Our focus is micro-crafted beers with an emphasis on what's local. We feature Green Room Brewery, Bold City Brewery & Intuition Brewery -- and soon to come -- Engine 15. We also feature seasonal beers which are constantly rotating to ensure we have options for several of the different styles. To let you try a number of our beers we feature beer flights all day, every day: 4 for $5.
15. Is there anything else you'd like to add?
We have complimentary wine tasting every Friday from 5pm-8pm. Corkage is waived on featured wines at that time as well.