10 Questions with Chef Micah Windham of Pele's Wood Fire
1. Tell us about Pele's Wood Fire.
We are a Modern Italian American Restaurant highlighting cuisine from across the United States with an Italian perspective. Our kitchen features an open air look, with two wood fired ovens, one for authentic Neapolitan style pizzas and the other as a Roast station for all sorts of tasty appetizers and coal fired steaks. We source our ingredients as locally as possible and strive for a sustainable set of ethics with recycling.
2. What makes Pele's Wood Fire special?
We make as much of our food from scratch as possible. From fresh made pastas to house made bread, we pride ourselves in training our team in great techniques and growing a community space with great food.
3. What sort of food do you serve?
Rich, flavorful, tasty, hearty, light, and delicate. From great fresh local and Hawaiian seafood to slow cooked ragus to crisp local greens to hard to find wood-fired cuisine.
4. Where do your recipes come from?
The Heart, our team, and our society's history.
5. What are your top 3 recommendations for someone new to Pele's Wood Fire?
1. Have lunch, and have dinner.
2. Keep an ear out for our cooking classes and our wine and brew tastings.
3. Let your server guide you through a phenomenal journey.
6. What can you recommend to someone looking for something a little different?
Contact us and let's talk about our private dining menu. Featuring dishes that take a little extra time to prepare and to gather from the farm, but are well worth the wait.
7. What's your most popular dish?
Pizza Margherita, a traditional pie made in honor of Queen Margherita with basil, tomato and house made mozzarella.
8. What's your favorite dish?
They all are. Our dishes our like our children...we love them all.
9. What did you do before working at Pele's?
I have been in working in fine restaurants, hotels, and private establishments for 19 years.
Cooking isn't just fun, it's a passionate addiction.
10. How long have you been in the Jacksonville area and where are you from originally?
I am originally from Seattle. There I was fortunate enough to work with some of our best chefs and cooks in the country. Highlighting Biodynamic cuisine and sustainable resources. My family and I have lived in Jacksonville for about 3 years now and love the people, sunshine and water.
11. What can we expect in the future from Pele's?
Great local cuisine, growing connections, phenomenal specials, creative cooking classes, demonstrations, weddings and catering events.
12. Can you tell us how Pele's got started?
Our restaurant was founded from a catering company. We have a mobile wood fired oven with chrome wheels that we can bring to your back door for special events and occasions.
13. Anything else you'd like to add?