10 Questions about Harpoon Louie's
1. Tell us about Harpoon Louie's.
We are the quintessential community pub. We offer the highest quality food at the most affordable prices possible.
We may be the best kept secret in Jax but for over 20 years we have been serving up excellent food along with great service and atmosphere! We feature plenty
of waterfront outdoor seating, live music, pool tables, regular specials and ample space inside to view our TVs (including our jumbo projector screen). One visit and you'll want to be a regular. Come and see for yourself!
2. What makes Harpoon Louie's special?
We are community minded individuals who try to incorporate as many local merchants as possible. One example is our support for local brewers, including Intuition Ale Works and more recently Bold City Brewery. And we're always looking to support other local businesses wherever possible.
3. What sort of food do you serve?
American - burgers, wings, steaks, sandwiches, salads and seafood.
4. Where do your recipes come from?
David Witt (part owner) - graduate of Johnson & Wales culinary school - and Allison Moody - her soups are famous (they're all home made from scratch)!
5. What are your top 3 recommendations for someone new to Harpoon Louie's?
1. Karl's Way wings. Named for the previous owner, these long time favorites are tossed with our secret sauce, grilled, retossed and then sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
2. Bleu Cheese Burger. We mix a blend of blue cheese and cream cheese into each burger before cooking to provide our unique take on this delicious burger.
3. Fish nuggets (below). We blacken and pan sear the nuggets before adding our home made secret sauce. These are quite different and hugely popular, both as an appetizer and a whole meal.
6. What can you recommend for someone who wants to try something a little different?
We offer several vegetarian and vegan options - including the yummy pressed veggie wrap!
7. What's the most popular dish?
Our burgers. They're freshly made with the finest Certified Angus beef available and crafted in unique ways using our own blends of home prepared sauces and spices.
8. What's your favorite dish?
Current fave is the fish tacos.
9. Where does the name Harpoon Louie's come from?
The name is from the previous owner and we don't know where he got it from! David Witt, one of the current co-owners, used to work at Harpoon Louie's before going to culinary school in Charleston, SC. After returning to Jacksonville David eventually returned to Harpoon Louie's. He thought he was just helping out for a while when he was unexpectedly given the opportunity to become an owner. Along with some close friends David bought Harpoon Louie's in April of 2006. The name was well known in the neighborhood and so it just stuck.
10. Anything else you'd like to add?
Just that we're an authentic neighborhood pub. The owners work here, and we're really a part of the local community. That makes Harpoon Louie's a great place to hang out while enjoying some genuinely distinctive food.