10 Questions about Caribbean Sunrise Bakery
1. Tell us about Caribbean Sunrise.
We are a first-generation family owned business. We opened in 1996 and have grown to become a favorite spot for residents throughout the city of Jacksonville. In 2010 we were named Jacksonville's Soul Food Restaurant of the Year.
Caribbean Sunrise is primarily a take-out restaurant, but many stay to enjoy a very casual dining experience. All meals are cooked from scratch just like back home, prepared with care using traditional island herbs and spices.
In addition to the many tasty dishes that we offer, you can also pick up a loaf of our fresh baked hard dough (sour dough) bread, or cocoa bread.
There’s much more than meets the eye at Caribbean Sunrise Bakery and Restaurant. Come inside and you will find a variety of imported groceries from the islands. And we even come to you, whether it’s to cater a special function or event, or sponsor a cause, you will find us in the community throughout the year.
2. What makes Caribbean Sunrise special?
We are one of the first Jamaican restaurants in Jacksonville, and have become well rooted in the community as a favorite for residents.
3. What sort of food do you serve?
Jamaican food. For those unfamiliar with Jamaican food, it is made up of dishes such as jerk chicken (spicy grilled chicken), Kingston Curry (curried goat, chicken or shrimp), Ackee (Jamaica's national fruit) & Saltfish and Island Stew (Oxtails, chicken or beef in our secret sauce with carrots and potatoes). If you've had Jamaican food before you will recognize the authentic method of our cooking. If you are new to Jamaican food, then you're in for a tasty treat. Come out and try something unique and different. Your tastebuds will thank you.
4. What are your top 3 recommendations to someone new to Caribbean Sunrise?
1. Curry Chicken.
2. Jerk Chicken.
5. What can you recommend to someone looking for something a little different?
Practically everything we serve is different from the norm. Jamaican beef patties are a good start.
6. What's the most popular item?
7. Where do you get your recipes?
We cook using original Jamaican recipes.
8. Can you tell us how your take-out service works? Is the food pre-cooked, or do people cook it at home? Are the meals individually sized or family sized?
Our establishment is all take out service. We cook fresh meals daily, and serve in take-out trays. However, many of our customers stay and enjoy their meals. Meals come in three individual sizes.
9. Can you tell us about your grocery store? What are some of the unique things you carry?
We carry a small selection of Caribbean/Jamaican groceries. Some of the items include: seasonings (curry powder and jerk season); drink mixes (Ovaltine, Milo, Fruit Punch); Jamaican coffee, candies, cookies, and our own baked bread (mainly hard dough bread and cocoa bread).
10. Anything else you'd like to add that can help us to understand your business better?
We have been in Jacksonville for a long time and built up a loyal following. If Jamaican food is new to you, please come by and we'll help introduce you to amazing flavors you may have never experienced before.